DIY KEEPSAKE ART BOOK

48845-1e00f1_649026a73a3549b7b3b811049fccb986.jpg

This project started off as a joke for a friend in need of cheering up. She was really into art and I had no idea what kind of art book to get her. I spent hours at Chapters aimlessly only to leave with a cup, for me.

During my drive home, I thought: "I know a local artist that is quickly blossoming in the art world! She is ambitious and creates artwork on a daily basis! She even lives with me!" When I got home, I started to brainstorm and to be honest, it got a little out of hand. I decided I wanted:

  1. To make a classy art book on black paper. (So hard to keep black paper clean!)

  2. Each piece of original art needed a name, title of artist, and the type of medium used. I got so over the top that I even contacted an artist friend to help me title the artwork. He thought I was crazy but still humored me and helped out. Thanks Jeff!

  3. Someone to do a foreword or introduction. Grace's 12 month old friend helped out with this.

Onto the details to creating this artbook:

MATERIALS:

Black paper

Tape (Scotch, duct, electrical)

Glue

Other paper and materials (this will be explained later)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Because I was aiming for a classy and cool art work, I had to figure out how to build the book. I wanted to make an accordion book so I had to figure it out on a smaller scale first. Would have been easier if I googled or youtubed it. But I felt like challenging myself.

afd02-1e00f1_05091500168c490598a82ef1da490334.jpg
e32f6-1e00f1_2176d10a089447b4bba760121fee48b2.jpg

Bigger and actual version.

e2cbe-1e00f1_4ab3fe8ca7e143628e22ac7715ac67d4.jpg
eecc7-1e00f1_bf87930289cf408d831455aa0fde28f8.jpg

2. After gluing and taping all the pages together, it turns into an accordion book like this! (Top view from side.)

ef7fc-1e00f1_99f0f2a5515c472a850700bc0f6fc9e5.jpg

3. Onto the book cover. The pages were now an odd size so I had to make my own book cover for it. I found two old binders and cut them to be a little bigger than the pages inside. Measured and then taped them together with Hello Kitty duct tape. I also added a band of black electrical tape for "interest." Next, I just had to glue the front and back of the pages to the book. Easy!

ec59c-1e00f1_36a7c2e0582b4a3f8b7d7ac89be0b957.jpg
b27c2-1e00f1_1aa43137d3d4448fb4ef0f0ff546f353.jpg
a8800-1e00f1_d9eea671a7154f7386e8c188332d8641.jpg

4. The artwork was initially glued onto the pages. When I was done it just looked unfinished. So I cut strips of paper and made borders on all the artwork. A bit more work but does make it look that much for finished and "professional."

Here is the finished product!

99077-1e00f1_e86669b9efc64c938183910d6ee63b17.png
2e083-1e00f1_d28fe352ef85435fb47a70212e10d383.jpg
bb3b7-1e00f1_fd0a11b23a4745db9f7896341f7780a5.jpg
1b525-1e00f1_6fab7a172e3840af89daeb1028bb3be5.jpg

The ended the book with a message from the artists. Just FYI, the artists are 12 and 18 months old at the time. Not the greatest writers yet.

877d3-1e00f1_40e865ffe431478981731a90ad67e6ba.jpg