AHHH...January. The time when we try to start fresh, change old habits, and adopt good new ones. This is also the time when most of us decide THIS is the time to finally lose some weight and get back in the gym. If you are one of these people, good for you!
Because this blog post is about skincare and not about exercise (I know nothing about the latter other than doing some is better than none), here are some skincare habits you should adopt along with your new exercise routine:
1. Don't wear makeup when you are working out. I've worked out at a gym before and I can honestly say looking sweaty is way sexier than a full face of makeup when working out. Any foundation or powder on your face creates a barrier on your face. Add in sweat and oil from your exercise, you are just asking for nasty breakouts. Prior to starting your workout, wipe your face clean with a cleansing wipe. This step is very easy to do.
2. Wear sunscreen if you are outside, even if it is winter time and it looks "cloudy." Yes, I know I said no makeup when working out but sunscreen is an exception. You want to protect your face when you are outside. The previous tip applies more so for workouts inside.
3. Use clean towels during your workout. If you sweat a lot and need to occasionally wipe your face, make sure your towel is super clean. You don't want to wipe off sweat only to deposit other bacteria on your face. Gross.
4. Wash your face after a workout. Ideally, with some sort of cleanser. Washing your face with water is just called rinsing. It is not washing. Sulfur-based cleansers are great for oily or acne-prone skin, since they can penetrate clogged pores while reducing the appearance of redness. Exfoliating cleansers can also remove the build-up of sweat, bacteria and oil while drawing impurities from pores—just resist the urge to scrub too hard.
5. Moisturize your face. You might be tempted to keep your skin really clean after washing it but you really need to replenish it with a light weight, oil free moisturizer. You just pulled all the impurities from it and you want to protect it from becoming dry, chapped, or sensitive.
Sounds like a lot of work? Promise you, it is less work than your exercise routine and it will be so worth it when your face looks great like your body!